Get Ready for a Wild Encounter:
Being a zookeeper takes careful preparation. Here are some things you need to know so that you can be prepared to work side by side with your Otter Antics crew:
1. Participants must be in relatively good physical condition. It is important that you are able to go up and down stairways at a moderate pace.
2. Communication between you and the rest of the Otter Antics crew is crucial. You must be able to read, speak, and understand English without the use of an interpreter.
3. You must be attentive. Although our exhibit animals are comfortable working with their human caregivers, they are still wild animals and their behavior is unpredictable. It is important that you pay close attention to the guidance and instructions of the crew.
Please also note the following precautions:
• All participants are required to complete
a signed liability waiver*
• You cannot participate in this program if you are pregnant.
• All portions of Otter Antics are not fully accessible.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Who can register for Otter Antics?
Youth over the age of 12 with the written permission of an adult or guardian. Adults.
Can my family or friends watch me participate in this program?
To ensure the safety of all involved, only the registered program participants will be allowed in the areas where the program is taking place.
What should I wear?
As part of the program, you will be indoors in warmly heated areas as well as outside. Please wear long pants. There is the chance that your clothing will come in contact with water, so you may want to bring a change of clothes also. You will be asked to remove all jewelry other than smooth wedding bands (no stones). Because you may be in front of the public during various sessions, we ask that you wear something presentable without holes or noticeable wear.
Will there be a place to store my personal items?
Yes. We will provide you with a secure place to keep your personal items while you participate in your Wild Encounters program.
Can I take pictures during the program?
To keep the animals comfortable, we do not allow camera or cell phone use during Wild Encounters.
Where do we meet?
A keeper will meet you at the public entrance of Fragile Kingdom Rainforest promptly at 8:00 a.m. If you are parking your car for the length of the program, please park at the Discovery Center lot and walk down to the door. Since this is prior to zoo regular opening hours, please do not visit any other parts of the park.
What if I’m late?
If you are more than 15 minutes late, please call (708) 688-8434 and the keeper will meet you as soon as they are able. If you arrive late, the length of the program cannot be extended beyond 10:00 am.
What if I need to cancel?
Wild Encounters, Windows into the Zoo, Hamill Family Play Zoo Classes, Adult Classes
Prices included a non-refundable deposit equal to 25% of program cost. Cancellations require advance notice of seven working days.
What do I need to know about working with the animals?
Although our Otter Antics animals are comfortable working with their human caregivers, they are still wild animals and their behavior is unpredictable. It is important that you pay close attention to the guidance and instructions of the keeper you are spending the morning with. Never enter any animal area without direction from the keeper. Always wait for instructions and authorization from the keeper before approaching any of the animals while participating in training and feeding sessions.
If you have additional questions or concerns, please email
or call 708-688-8361.